• Become a fan on Facebook
  • Follow me on Google Plus

Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Martha Stewart on Oprah
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

I just watched the 10/5 episode of Oprah, and Martha Stewart was the guest. The episode was mainly about Martha's bounceback after prison and all of her new products and endeavors.

I am impressed with both Martha and Oprah as business models.

What I am not impressed with is the notion that you must "strive for excellence" in everything you do, and that having a perfectly perfect meal, party, baking project, craft, garden, and laundry room is "a must" because "you deserve it."

I not only find these kind of notions ridiculous, I think they're terribly unhealthy, and irresponsible to put on television. I know that both of these women do not have young children in their home (I could go on a rant about this, but am trying to maintain a certain level of decorum), but I also know that their audience is *primarily* mothers---working outside of the home or inside of the home---, many of whom (scratch that, MOST of whom) are already feeling completely overwhelmed by the day to day STUFF that has to happen just to keep everyone alive, fed, and emotionally stable.

I really feel unreasonable expectations like the ones touted in this show are terribly detrimental to the well-being of mothers.

I just hope viewers realize this and don't worry they aren't measuring up.

Post subject: Re: Martha Stewart on Oprah
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:42 am 

I agree Steph. I find them both to be ridiculously pompus, and like you, if I'd seen that, I'd have been crazy too. Neither one of them have kids in the house. With all of their money they couldn't possibly know what I need, deserve-or even want for that matter!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:04 am 
Site Admin

Hi Kendra,
oh I'm glad you answered and don't think I'm out of line. I woke up in the middle of the night (I've been having nutty insomnia lately, totally stinks now that the baby sleeps, I don't!) and the more I remembered bits and pieces of the show, the more annoyed I felt. I think it's the out of touch aspect that really grates, because without *us* there would be no *them*---

I do like the house to be somewhat straightened up---I do. But on the list of priorities, a perfect laundry room is so low on the totem pole, it makes my stomach hurt. And when Martha asked Oprah "you do fold your towels in thirds, don't you" and she replied "oh yes"---

~~~~~~~deep breath in, deep breath out~~~~~~~~~

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:10 am 

Oh Puleeease!

I don't watch daytime TV. (probably for that reason....) I work full time, and have a weekend job as well. Luckily my sons are both grown (although they still live at home - love this economy!) But seriously? Fold your towels in thirds????? They come out of the dryer directly to the towel bar in the bathroom. No folding necessary. LOL Or, (more likely) they STAY in the basket! Along with everything else.

If I had a gazillion dollars. And IF I had no children. And IF I had no full time job. I would STILL not fold my towels in thirds. I have a "real" life.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:15 am 
Site Admin

cbuffy wrote:
Oh Puleeease!

If I had a gazillion dollars. And IF I had no children. And IF I had no full time job. I would STILL not fold my towels in thirds.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't ever, either.

I do have hired help though... a 9 and 6 yr old! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:02 am 

Wow - they would both hate to come to my house! I do not have folded towels (or any place to put folded towels) or folded sheets or anyplace to put them either... I live in an OLD farmhouse with no closets and sagging floors that can barley take the weight of one dresser! And a 3yr old, and a 1yr old, and a husband and I am a full time college student (went back after 10 years to finally finish my degree). I am lucky if I eat actual food and not junk and get half of my homework done before I pass out from exhaustion!

I do like a lot of Martha's products (I used to work at Michaels and they sell a bunch of her stuff) but every time I see her or hear her name I think of a line from Buffy the Vampire Slayer "No one could do that much decopage without calling on the powers of darkness". :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:14 am 

This is exactly why I stopped watching Oprah and Martha a few years ago. I think they are so far removed from what life is really like for the general population. How could they possibly relate? I don't know why people follow both of them and deem what they say is law.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:25 am 

Ok, I have to admit that I have not actually seen this episode yet. It is on my DVR to be seen at a much later time, if at all the way my chaotic life goes these days. Secondly, I will admit that my towels are folded in thirds, but only because that is how they best fit in my linen closet and not because Martha or Oprah or some other not so down to earth person tells me I should do it that way. I do it that way because it works best for my living situation. I think they both need a dose of reality and should come live in any of our shoes for a long period of time, not just an afternoon like Oprah has done before while the cameras filmed her around children. Towels folded in thirds and other such things would take a backseat to much more pressing issues in a heartbeat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:30 am 

OK ... don't get mad at me, but I guess I viewed this show differently than the rest of you. I felt that Martha was trying to emphasize the fact that we are all important! And that we should embrace this fact in every situation that are put in ... even jail. Do everything (from folding your towels ... or not) the best you can at that moment. We all deserve things to make us feel good ... maybe a nice craft room ... or maybe it's just getting a meal on the table ... once a week!

When my children were little my "feel goods" were ... a clean "formal living room" (no TV) and my beautiful comforter on my bed. (those were very important to me at the time) Now of course that my children are grown ... my list has changed. (come on ... formal living room??) But I will never have a craft room ... not crafty ... but I'm not offended that others do. I think they are trying to tell us to be the best darn nose wiper, butt washer ... or crafter that you can be! And be proud of it!

I'm looking forward to being the best darn Grandma ... I just have to get my children to work with me on this ...

And yes, I do fold my towels in thirds ... only way they fit in my closet ...

Enjoy your lives today and no need to fret about unfolded towels ... do what works for you and do it the best you can and be proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:21 pm 

I think their mistake is to think perfection equals excellence. IMO perfection, especially OCD behavior like caring how many times your towels are folded, is exactly what gets in the way of excellence. I'm partial to excellence, and that included moving the towels, in whatever shapes forms my fancy, at the time directly to the towel rack, or the top of the tumble dryer, for that matter!