• Follow me on Twitter
  • Become a fan on Facebook
  • Follow me on Google Plus

Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crock Pot brand contains lead in ceramic glaze
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:24 am 

I threw out my Crock Pot after learning that it contains lead that can migrate into your food during cooking. I bought a Hamilton Beach slowcooker, because it is lead free.

Post subject: Re: Crock Pot brand contains lead in ceramic glaze
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:51 am 

The way I read the Hamilton Beach website regarding lead is that they may have lead but the level complies with FDA regulations. Here's what they say:

Hamilton Beach specifications applicable to all slow cookers and their components (including the earthenware crocks) prohibits the product from containing any measurable amounts of lead. Furthermore, the factories that manufacture the earthenware crocks for Hamilton Beach are certified ceramic production facilities whose ceramic ware is deemed to satisfy FDA heavy metal requirements. Hamilton Beach takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the earthenware crocks accompanying our slow cookers provide safe and satisfactory service to our consumers.

I think most people should be more worried about the level of sodium in their diet rather than lead in slow cookers. Almost all Americans will develop high blood pressure due to our high sodium intake. I can't find a reference anywhere on the web of someone developing lead poisoning from a slow cooker.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:22 am 
Site Admin

Hi Lorayne,

I first heard about this last year in the middle of the slow cooker challenge. It seems to be a bit of an internet rumor, thankfully. I contacted Jarden (parent company of Crock-Pot) and heard that they routinely check for lead levels and that their reports haven't found anything.

this is the exact wording I got back:

Jarden Consumer Solutions (JCS) continues to proactively test its products for lead and other toxic metals, with the results continuing to come back favorably. Lead is not an additive in the Crock Pot® slow cooker ceramic glaze. JCS is diligent in its efforts to ensure that its products are compliant with applicable regulations regarding the presence of lead.

JCS tests for lead and other toxic metals on its products to ensure they are safe for consumers. In addition, we periodically use accredited third party lab testing to reveal that our slow cooker stoneware is far below the U.S. FDA and California Regulation Prop 65 requirements for extractable lead and cadmium in ceramic wares, thus supporting our results.

also, a bit ago a blogger decided to check this out for herself, and these are her results: http://www.terminalverbosity.com/2009/1 ... prise-you/

she tested independently several different manufacturers and found NOTHING! yay!!!!

so crock on! :-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:15 pm 

That's great news!

My question is related to this and coincidentally I'd wanted to post it and then saw this answer.

I accidentally put a few scratches in my Morphy Richards pot, and have been concerned about cooking with it, mostly because of the lead scare, but also for fear if other toxins.

What has been your experience regarding lightly scratched pots?

ThankS!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:34 am 

If CrockPot say they don't add lead to the glaze, then I don't see any reason to believe there will be lead in the glaze. Where would it have come from?

I don't see any reason to be concerned over using a scratched crockpot than any other ceramic dish with a scratch. It's just a cooking pot. People have been eating out of glazed ceramic cooking pots for thousands of years.

Here is the FDA advice on lead: http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/food ... 281.htm#Q5

If you are really worried, they say you can get a lead testing kit and test your pot yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:00 am 

Hi! I called Morphy Richards in the UK and they told me their ceramic pots don't contain lead, so it's not a problem.

Thanks for your answer!